Monday, September 21, 2009

XDR-TB and Zulu Wedding

It’s been another great South African week. I really couldn’t ask for more. I have probably said this after every week, but it remains true. I’m still having wonderful, new experiences and enjoying every moment.

Last week I went on my first hospital visit. I was placed in King George V Hospital in the MDR and XDR-TB ward. This means that all of the patients in the ward have a severe case of tuberculosis that is resistant to multiple drugs. Honestly, it was slightly scary to be in the same area as these patients, but I was wearing a mask and the nurses were very protective. We were able to speak to several doctors, nurses, and patients about different aspects of TB in South Africa. Visiting the hospital was one of the best experiential learning times yet, so I can’t wait for more hospital field trips!

The next few days were spent cramming for my Zulu finals. Last Friday I had both a written and oral exam for Zulu, and I think both went relatively well. It’s actually quite amazing how much Zulu we were taught in only a few short weeks. I’m not even close to fluent, but I’m at least able to greet people, have a very basic conversation, and pick up on the topic of most other conversations. Friday night I had a sleepover with my Mama at her boss’s house. My mama is a house keeper for a woman and she was out of town for the weekend, so we house-sat for her Friday night. I was spoiled for a night with my own shower, TV, toilet with a stained glass seat, and a queen sized bed for a night in the guest house. I experienced some re-entry shock because I felt like I was in an American home. I realized that I like the simplicity of life back in Cato Manor.

Two of our neighbors got married this weekend…and I mean ALL weekend. I was so excited to see what a Zulu wedding involved. I learned that it involves partying for three days straight, killing goats every day, beautiful traditional dresses, and African Time. On Saturday we went to the traditional Western-style wedding involving a white dress, bridesmaids, tying the knot etc. Just this part took a solid 5 hours, but the food was really tasty so it was worth it. The next day the couple had a traditional Zulu style wedding in their front yard. Everyone was so excited to show us the Zulu traditions, including the slaughtering of the goat. This time I was nice and close and got to see everything. I learned that every man must know how to slaughter a goat. I also learned that slaughtering a goat is a way that Zulu people connect to their ancestors. For instance, I just learned that one of the families are slaughtering a goat this weekend because the daughter is very sick and they want to try to make amends with her angry ancestors. We also witnessed part of a complicated gift giving process. In Zulu culture the potential husband must pay the bride’s family in cows, blankets, goats and more in order to be married. This tradition is slowly fading out, but it to some extent it is still practiced for most marriages.

This week includes more lectures, mall trips, and a holiday! Thursday is Heritage Day and we are all going to the beach with our families. I can’t wait to swim in the beautiful Indian Ocean again!

No comments:

Post a Comment