Thursday, October 22, 2009

Cowboys in Dance Clubs

My life actually had some regularity this week for the first time since arriving in South Africa. This is not necessarily a good thing because this regularity is driven by my large load of academic work I now have on my plate. I have spent most of the week scrambling around to complete the proposal for my Independent Study Project (ISP). Comparatively, I’m actually in a better position than most of my school mates in regard to organizing my ISP, but it’s still been a little stressful. My academic director summarized my situation the best: “your experiential learning is now slowing, and your academic learning is blooming.” I’m choosing rebel to try to prove my academic director wrong. I think it’s possible to get my work done AND continue my experiential learning. Here is the low-down on what new experiences I’m continuing to create:
Last Friday night I went to the dance club that sits right below my apartment building. I carefully selected this night because it was “Cowboy Night.” I was so entertained to see South Africans wearing cowboy hats and flannel while singing along to “Sweet Home Alabama.” Later on in the weekend I went to a township called KwaMashu just outside of Durban with a few South African friends. Prior to visiting this township I was warned that it is a black township that never has white visitors. Sure enough all of the kids started screaming out “umlungu” when they saw me, which means “white person,” but that even happened in Cato Manor during my homestay. However it was still very interesting to observe the neighborhoods’ reaction to my visit, but it was even more interesting to interact with the neighborhood. Everyone was extremely welcoming and friendly. I took pictures with grandmothers, ate barbequed goat, and skipped rope with kids. Definitely experiential learning.
I have also managed to play lacrosse on the beach, have dance parties with my flat mates, and watch ESPN Sportscenter. I guess these may not be classified as experiential learning, but they do bring me comfort. I have also had the chance to speak with some close family and friends from home over the past week which always uplifts my spirits. There is nothing like hearing a familiar voice after months of disconnect.
This weekend I plan on cracking the whip to complete and edit my two essays. Unfortunately this means my experiential learning will have to be suppressed for a few days, but hopefully I’ll be able to take some fabulous study breaks. I already have a list of ideas: swim in the Indian Ocean, walk to a street vendor market, and watch some South African soap operas. It should be satisfying.

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow, you've had so many experiences there. The range of activities is amazing, especially compared to traditional classroom work. This all makes San Jose's few night clubs sound extremely boring ha ha ha. What I want to know is how the cowboys there compare to the one we have out in Coburg/Elmira/etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cowboys had nothing on the greater Eugene area cowboys. These cowboys were most definitely posers. Although, I was relative impressed with how many country songs they knew. Maybe they had been studying up haha.

    ReplyDelete